Man dies after being taken into Sacramento police custody

6:57 PM, May 25, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

Video: Man dies after being taken into police custody

Scene outside of Metro PCS on the 8300 block of Folsom Boulevard Friday evening. Photo courtesy of Jorden

SACRAMENTO, CA - A man died while he was in the custody of Sacramento police after he got into violent struggle with officers Friday evening.

A woman called 911 around 5:46 p.m. from the Metro PCS Store on the 8300 block of Folsom Boulevard to report that a man inside made her feel like she was in danger, Sacramento police Officer Doug Morse said. The woman, an employee at the store, said she asked the man to leave, but he refused.

"It was very apparent she appeared to be in immediate danger," Morse said. "She first reported there was a male suspect in her store and it quickly escalated that she was extremely fearful of this individual."

Morse said officers arriving at the scene had their lights and sirens on because they did not know the man's intent. The officers found the suspect still inside of the store and feared the incident could turn into a hostage situation. Morse said the officers pried the door open after the man held the door shut.

When officers got inside, the man got into a violent struggle with the officers, Morse said. Officers said the suspect became combative, with the struggle becoming so violent that it moved from inside of the store and out onto the sidewalk and parking lot in front of the store.

"He physically resisted, he physically fought with officers, and that fight was so violent, that when they struggled it spilled out onto the parking lot," Morse said. "There were times when the officers were literally being overpowered."

Other officers were called to the scene for backup.

Police said at least two citizens and a security guard tried to help before more police arrived. Morse said no Tazer or gun was involved in the struggle. Officers were eventually able to put the man in handcuffs.

Sometime after the man was in police custody, officers realized the man was unresponsive. Morse said officers immediately called for medical attention. Medical personnel stabilized the man at the scene and then transported him to the hospital. Morse said the man died at the hospital.

The name of the suspect - described as a man in his 40s - has not been released. The man's cause of death has not been determined yet.

The Associated Press contributed to this report


Most Watched Videos