4th person dies from mushroom poisoning at Loomis care home

5:10 PM, Nov 27, 2012   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

LOOMIS, CA - A fourth person has died from eating wild mushrooms in Loomis, according to the Placer County Sheriff's Office.

Sheriff's spokewoman Dena Erwin said the victim was 92-year-old Dorothy Mary Hart. She passed away at an Auburn nursing home last Thursday, Thanksgiving.

Hart had lived at Gold Age Villa residential care home in Loomis where a caregiver had prepared and served a soup with the poisonous mushrooms to residents.

The first two victims died Friday, Nov. 16, after consuming the mushroom soup.

STORY: Owners express grief over mushroom deaths

The third person was confirmed to have died from mushroom poisoning on Nov. 21.

STORY: 3rd person dies from mushroom poisoning in Loomis

Five residents at the care facility were originally taken ill after being fed the mushrooms. No information was provided on the condition of the fifth individual.

The caretaker who prepared the soup apparently picked the mushrooms from the home's backyard and did not know they were poisonous.

Oscar Ramirez, spokesman for the California Department of Social Services, said the operating license of Gold Age Villa was still active. His department continues to investigate.


Most Watched Videos